Bitching Brew

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

20 reasons to trigger the alarm bells.

You know you've been in Canada too long when...
  1. You say 'eh' after every sentence.
  2. You expect your groceries to be in both French and English, just in case.
  3. You find yourself calling America "The States".
  4. You call a beanie a tuque and wear it as a fashion statement.
  5. You step in front of moving cars without anxiety.
  6. You trust taxi drivers.
  7. Hockey matters.
  8. You slap down anyone from the homeland who moans about the "cold" weather they're having.
  9. If you find a -2 C day in January, you leave the coat at home and tear open your shirt.
  10. You throw snowballs and play beach volleyball in the same month.
  11. You host a backyard barbecue with a foot of snow on the ground.
  12. You prefer to buy your milk in plastic bags - it tastes better.
  13. You find yourself looking for the latest fashion in snowsuits.
  14. You go to the beach...at a lake!
  15. You put maple syrup on bacon, sausage, French toast, and baked beans, but not on ice-cream.
  16. You drink as many lattes as you would back home, but twice as much black coffee.
  17. You're perfectly clear on the distinction between breakfast, brunch and lunch; it follows that you'll accept no substitute for brunch.
  18. You find yourself craving Tim Horton's doughnuts, which aren't actually that good.
  19. You mercilessly mock weak American beer.
  20. You sincerely apologise when somebody runs into you.

Anything to add?

P.S. Yes, you can credit me with composing two-thirds of these. Six were stolen.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • LOL! I always get pissed off when people (especially Americans) call United States "America", because America is a continent, not a country.

    Now that you've been here for almost a year, do you say "about" in that funny way that Canadian Anglos do? I'm a Francophone and learned my English from American TV shows, so I don't pronounce my "-out" the way Canadian Anglos do, but when I hear it, I always get a kick out of it.

    Hey! I have a question! Americans refers to something as Canadian bacon. What the heck is Canadian bacon? I'm Canadian and I don't know what it is! Is our bacon different from the bacon in the rest of the world? When you were living in Europe, did you know about Canadian bacon? What is it? The only bacon I know is the one that comes in slices.

    By Blogger Sonia, at Wed May 23, 02:58:00 p.m.  

  • I think my pronunciation of "about" has shifted a bit, but I still don't say in that very funny way!

    You know that long stringy bacon? That's what the Americans usually think of as bacon. Whereas, in Canada, you often find thicker, meatier slices called "back bacon" - that's what they mean by Canadian bacon. No, we don't call it that in Europe!

    By Blogger Martin, at Mon Jun 04, 06:17:00 a.m.  

  • Well I am Canadian and for me, bacon comes in long thin slices. The same ones that we found in the US. That's why to this day I still don't know what the heck is Canadian Bacon. LOL! Maybe we don't have Canadian bacon in Québec. Vive la différence! LOL!

    By Blogger Sonia, at Mon Jun 04, 08:03:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home