Bitching Brew

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Love is suicide?

Relax, it's only a music mix. Until my next post, anyway. ;) I drew up a 20-song playlist and tried to get it published on iTunes, but they didn't have all the songs available. So screw that. I'll put it here instead.

It's not upbeat - after all, it must bear some relation to the title. I'm not a genius sequencer, and maybe I could have dropped a few tracks. But the list was born on a scrap of paper during a 5 minute outpouring from my brain. I played it through, cut a few songs off, and found that on the whole, the mix really touched me. Even if the opener is a very odd choice. Anyway, here you are. There's nothing dreadfully obscure here (ahem), but it's also very unlikely that you've heard all these songs.

1. 'Desperado': Johnny Cash (The Man Comes Around)
2. 'I Would Die 4 U': Prince and the Revolution (Purple Rain)
3. 'Maps': Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Fever to Tell)
4. 'Hyperballad': The Twilight Singers (She Loves You)
5. 'Tonight': Iggy Pop (Lust for Life)
6. 'Plenty': Sarah McLachlan (Fumbling Towards Ecstasy)
7. 'Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was': Radiohead (The Bends)
8. 'Sueisfine': My Bloody Valentine (Isn't Anything)
9. 'Heart And Soul': Joy Division (Closer)
10. 'Out Of Reach': Gabrielle (Dreams Can Come True)
11. 'I Could Have Lied': Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar Sex Magik)
12. 'Love': The Smashing Pumpkins (Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness)
13. 'Auf Achse': Franz Ferdinand (Franz Ferdinand)
14. 'Nothing Compares 2 U': Sinead O'Connor (I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got)
15. 'Acid In My Heart': The Sleepy Jackson (Lovers)
16. 'Dumb Dumb Dumb': Teenage Fanclub (Howdy!)
17. 'One Caress': Depeche Mode (Songs of Faith and Devotion)
18. 'Crown of Love': Arcade Fire (Funeral)
19. 'Last Goodbye': Jeff Buckley (Grace)
20. 'Black Hair': Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (The Boatman's Call)

Thoughts, praise, mockery and reflections all welcome. The highest praise, of course, would be if you go and listen to the music... and then give your thoughts.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • a wee bit depressing

    By Blogger Shuffling Geisha, at Mon Oct 17, 01:40:00 p.m.  

  • True. Though it was worse before I took the Leonard Cohen songs off. ;)

    I composed it after a black evening, so I'd be shocked if it wasn't depressing. We all have our dark times, the moments where happy, blissful song would actually offend. Taken together, these tunes might deflate the happy soul, but they comfort on an evil night.

    I'll live. :)

    By Blogger Martin, at Mon Oct 17, 09:50:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home