Bitching Brew

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

How long does it take to cross Canada?

I'll find out soon enough. Tomorrow, I fly from Atlanta to Vancouver. I have a few friends there, and I plan to enjoy their company and the city for roughly ten days. I'm looking forward to it - Vancouver has one of the finest natural settings of any major city. It's bounded by the ocean, by the Cascades mountain range, and by the giant redwood forests of British Columbia.

Once I've seen Vancouver through, it's back on the road. Or the rails. Or a combination of both, for up to 6,500 km. I'm heading at least as far as Montreal. On my route, I'll pass through the Canadian Rockies, drive up the Icefields Parkway, stop in Calgary or Edmonton, then travel across the vast prairies of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. After that, the route runs round the northern edge of Lake Superior, then through Sudbury en route to Toronto. Next stop: Montreal.

It may take me ten days to get from Vancouver to Montreal, so the bilingual city might mark the eastern limit of my travels. Even that journey is equivalent to driving from London to Moscow and back again, so there's no indignity in stopping there.

This is going to blow my previous road trips out of the biography.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • That sounds like a great trip. I did it years ago through the U.S. and I would do it all over again..

    By Blogger CiscoKid, at Thu Oct 11, 07:00:00 p.m.  

  • So do tell, how did you like Atlanta? I was lost most of the time I was there last year...I think they have something like 37 streets with the name of "peach" in them. They have an incredible aquarium there!

    By Blogger Etchen, at Fri Oct 12, 08:42:00 p.m.  

  • There's nothing better than a long trip. It gets you away from the daily grind and gives you time to reflect on your whole life. It's also a bundle of fun!

    I was disappointed with Atlanta. Everything is too far apart. While there are some nice little neighbourhoods, it doesn't form a coherent whole. You're right - every second street is a variation on Peach or Peachtree - it's insane!

    By Blogger Martin, at Mon Oct 22, 08:44:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home