Bitching Brew

Monday, March 05, 2007

Rising from the dead... of winter.

The Canadian winter is finally beginning to wind down. A tough ice storm last week and a fearsome cold snap lasting till Friday should be its last angry death rattles. I have visitors coming in late April, and I was checking up the temperature range they can expect. It's pretty broad - almost guaranteed to offer lows below zero and highs in the mid to upper twenties within ten days. That is to say, Ireland's entire temperature variance will be contained within that week and a half. I can't believe it - the high twenties are only six weeks away! Considering how cold it is tonight, you can understand that it's tough to imagine.

April 19 - April 29

  • 2006 = max: 22.7 °C; min: -1.6 °C
  • 2005 = max: 27.5 °C; min: 0.2 °C
  • 2004 = max: 25 °C; min: -2.9 °C
  • 2003 = max: 18.4 °C; min: -1.5 °C
  • 2002 = max: 23.5 °C; min: -1.7 °C
  • 2001 = max: 27.2 °C; min: -3.8 °C
The decline of winter has coupled with another significant change to lift a weight from my shoulders, leaving me ready to rock out once again! I've decided to postpone further study until September 2008. I've been stressed for the past month, trying to acquire references, write up sample papers and personal statements, and complete the applications. Enough, I say. A dull job in the twilight zone, application stress, severe cold and a lack of sunlight were burdening me, almost rendering me homesick. However, stress isn't the reason I've postponed.

I can't imagine myself sitting down to hard study in just six months, directly after my Canadian stay. An expensive Masters degree requires a month or two of solid preparation, which is something I'll be unable to give. Furthermore, I don't want to set up in a new country so quickly. I'd prefer to either stay here or return to Dublin for a few months at least. I have friends and networks in both locations, and I'd rather keep and develop those for the immediate future. Moving and establishing oneself is an exhilarating challenge, but it's also difficult and stressful.

Anyway. Back to surviving tonight. Since this will be the last (and coldest) blast of winter, I thought I'd venture down to the main bins with the rubbish - without a tuque or gloves and wearing only a shirt. It's only two minutes there and back! I gave up before I'd taken three steps downwards. The temperature has spiralled down throughout the day. Tomorrow morning will be the coldest of the entire winter: -22 with a wind chill of -35. Even in my improvised burqa, I'm going to be risking frostbite out there. So yeah, I'm a flimsy spineless chicken for not going out semi-naked in that. :)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • LOL! Yep! That's Eastern Canada allright! One day it's -20ºC and the next days its 11ºC.

    I remember one year in the late 80s, on March 29, in Quebec City, the temperature rised to 30ºC. I hadn't check out the temperature before going out, so I put my big winter coat and my scarf and gloves. When I arrived outside, I was like "What the heck?!?!". Everyone was in shorts and T-shirts. Of course the next day, it was probably back to season normals of about 2ºC. LOL!

    By Blogger Sonia, at Fri Mar 16, 09:44:00 p.m.  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sonia, at Wed Mar 21, 02:34:00 p.m.  

  • Here, in wonderful Montreal, yesterday is was -12ºC and tomorrow it's supposed to be 15ºC. I'm telling you. Only in Eastern Canada!

    By Blogger Sonia, at Wed Mar 21, 02:36:00 p.m.  

  • Hey, good to hear you survived the winter too! Our short spring is upon us. :)

    It warmed up here from Wednesday on, hitting +14 today. I got a shock Tuesday morning myself though - the forecast was for -5. I was late for work, and I couldn't find my hat, so I had to leave without it. -5 is manageable...

    Except, it was actually -13, with a windchill of -21. I had to run all the way to the subway station directly into the wind, without a hat. (Shakes head sadly.) I can tell you that my head really hurt. Won't be doing that again!

    By Blogger Martin, at Fri Mar 23, 03:58:00 a.m.  

  • By the way, I can't wait for temperatures over +20. Coming soon (with nights still below zero!) to a city near you.

    By Blogger Martin, at Fri Mar 23, 03:59:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home