Bitching Brew

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Afternoon run.

I awoke this morning with a slight headache and a lazy disposition. At midday, I was sprawled on the couch in the same state. It was time to get active. It was time for a run.

A glance out the window hinted at a nip in the air. The few passers-by were hidden beneath thick winter coats, their heads obscured by tuques and thick scarves. Jen thought that I'd be a little crazy to go out jogging in such cold. She thought I was even crazier when I walked out in my T-shirt and jeans. Heedless of common sense, I was eager to experience the biting cold. Sure, wouldn't it wake me up?!

The first two blocks posed no problems. I could still feel the heat emanating from my skin, though my bare arms were beginning to tingle. Turning onto the open road, the Arctic wind blasted against my face. Yet I was determined to press on, so I continued my steady pace, ignoring the sceptical stares of occasional passers-by.

Once I reached the next street corner, I knew it was time to tuck tail and run for home. The wind chill had stripped any semblance of heat from my body, and my arms were beginning to hurt. I'm honestly not sure how I managed to get home. My entire upper body felt like it was burning; the T-shirt was scant protection from the elements, while I'd lost most feeling in the exposed parts. To top it off, the headache only got worse; my brain felt like it was bouncing against my skull.

Having made it back to the toasty apartment, I downed a glass of cool water to warm my insides, and curled up on the couch for half an hour. Next time, I'll wrap up a little better. So folks, what temperature was it outside at the time? Any guesses? Oh, forget it, I'll tell you. It might not faze a Montrealer, but those of you enjoying the Gulf Stream might be impressed.

It was minus eight. :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • LOL! Seriously Martin! You need to wear a jacket. And a scarf. And gloves!

    I just can't believe that no one took pity of you, thinking that you were living a streets, and gave you some spare changes.

    Maybe they just that it was part of a University hazing ritual.

    Is it all that smog and pollution down there in Toronto that is making you crazy? LOL!
    ;-)

    By Blogger Sonia, at Fri Dec 08, 02:49:00 p.m.  

  • Nah, I've noticed that people don't go near the crazy-looking homeless.

    I've learned my lesson. I think. :)

    By Blogger Martin, at Mon Dec 11, 03:52:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home