Bitching Brew

Monday, November 27, 2006

Happy birthday to me!

So the day has dawned - I'm 23 years old. Into the mid-twenties with me! You know what I love most about Toronto? The fact that they held a huge fireworks display for me. 'Twas heart-warming and much appreciated. Don't believe me? Check out the photo link towards the end of the post.

It feels timely; I'm not being dragged kicking or screaming. Age might be a number, but maturity isn't. The last year to eighteen months have seen the second of those outstripping the first. With afterburners attached. I know that this is a period in life where people learn and mature quite a bit, but when I look back two years, I don't recognise that boy. Seriously. It's like I've aged five years instead of two. The process has only been accelerating: I can see a huge change since the beginning of this year. To cap it off, the last ten weeks have turned my world upside down. I don't think that kind of upheaval can be replicated, so deceleration must be in order now. I wonder if people will recognise me in a year's time? And as for the folks who hadn't seen me at all in the last six months - wow. Someone's going to get a shock. Or a delightful surprise, depending on your point of view.

Why do I feel "mature"? Someone snap me out of this, quick!

Ah, problem solved. Observe the progression of the photos from Saturday night. ;) I'd intended to go to a hockey game Sunday afternoon, but alas, I had a fearsome hangover. Guess I haven't lost my love of fun, nor occasional moments of childlike wonder. I'll drink to that.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARTIN!!!

    I hope that you'll have a great day filled with love, laughter and cake!

    By Blogger Sonia, at Mon Nov 27, 08:49:00 p.m.  

  • May this year be the best one yet!

    By Blogger Kenneth Walsh, at Tue Nov 28, 09:25:00 p.m.  

  • Happy Birthday, at the end of the day!!! Hope Ronnie O'B turned up in an exploding cake, accompanied by Mo Johnston crooning 'Happy Birthday' in that thick Glasgow/Catholic/Rangers drawl of his. In all likelihood, he'll be the only Johnston to wish you well in your 24th year!!!

    By Anonymous Bazza, at Tue Nov 28, 10:55:00 p.m.  

  • Happy Birthday! Hope you did something fun . . . sorry for the late wishes.

    By Blogger dpineapple, at Wed Nov 29, 10:30:00 p.m.  

  • Thanks to all of you for the kind birthday wishes!

    By Blogger Martin, at Sun Dec 03, 09:35:00 p.m.  

  • I had a fun day (after work) - there were bags of love, laughter and cake. Especially cake. :)

    No exploding cake, and no Scots singing Happy Birthday. Just Canadians feeding me wine!

    I have a feeling this'll be the best year ever, though I don't want to tempt fate. The last two have been so special that it's hard to imagine this one topping them.

    By Blogger Martin, at Sun Dec 03, 09:39:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home