Bitching Brew

Friday, February 02, 2007

A superior wine guide (updated).

(27 October, 2006) Fear not; I'm no more pretentious than I was yesterday. Maybe more petit bourgeois, but let's pass over that for now. I've had a fantastic day, which I'll hopefully have the time to explain in a subsequent post. This evening, partly in celebration, I visited the LCBO in Summerhill to pick up some wine. From this time forward, as far as is practicable, I'm going to rate every wine I drink. I shan't be gauging the bouquet or any such nonsense. Instead, I'm going to give a number and maybe a line or two. It's for the benefit of my memory and little else. 'Twill be a handy guide for future purchases!

I haven't opened any of my new bottles yet, but I'll list them here and rate them once I drink. Whenever that is... the icewine, for instance, merits a special occasion.

---------UPDATED---------
(1 February, 2007)

  • Torbreck Shiraz Barossa Valley Woodcutter's 2005 (Australia)
    9/10 This was one of the finest red wines I've ever tasted, and by some distance the best Shiraz. Good body, yet soft and fruity. A bargain and a half.
  • Torres Santa Digna Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 Reserve (Chile)
    5/10 I was disappointed by this. I'm getting tired of Chilean wine in general; the dryness is beginning to grate. This bottle wasn't terrible, but it was stubbornly mediocre.
  • Inniskillin Ice Wine Vidal 2004 (Ontario)
    Unopened. This is being saved for a magical moment, as icewine is insanely expensive.
  • Hillebrand Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Ontario)
    7/10 I picked this up in an emergency, and was pleasantly surprised. A very drinkable wine; I'm learning that Ontario wines can be good value in the sub-$15 market.
  • Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 (Australia)
    6.5/10 Reliable and drinkable. Still, I shan't be bothering in future; Ontario wines represent much better value if I'm looking for a reliable wine, while superior French and Italian vintages can be found at this price point.
  • Louis Jadot "Combe Aux Jacques" Beaujolais-Villages 2005 (France)
    Unopened. I might share this popular Beaujolais at the weekend.
  • Chateau de Gourgazaud Minervois Rouge Cuvee Mathilde 2004 (France)
    Unopened. This was a great price for a well-regarded French wine. I might taste it at our upcoming house party.
  • Masi Serego Alighieri Possessioni Rosso 2004 (Italy)
    Unopened.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home