Bitching Brew

Monday, October 02, 2006

Huzzah!

Sometimes it feels like nothing's going right. Little things go awry. You watch as your friends and neighbours find their feet and groove away so smoothly. As you sit in with a book and a bowl of spaghetti, flat-broke, it can be a little disheartening.

Other days, you're dealt a straight flush, and your poker face melts into giddy delirium as you slap your cards on the table. Yesterday, a smile crossed my face when I found myself holding a full house. Today, I was dealt a royal flush. Good times, and I feel so fine.

I finally have a home! After being stranded in a hostel for two weeks, five thousand miles from home, I can't express how fantastic that feels. I'll be living with two trainee teachers in a nice apartment in a very snazzy neighbourhood: Forest Hill, Toronto. It's midtown, near the University-Spadina subway line. Despite being well inside Toronto, the area retains a small village feel. It's safe, pretty and wealthy, with Porsches and Corvettes lining the streets. A just trope would be the Ranelagh of Toronto. The apartment is medium-sized, with a small sun-room at the front. My bedroom doesn't echo, but 'tis more than sufficient. For this quite pleasant abode, I'll be paying $550 a month, which covers all utilities, cable and broadband. That equates to about €410 per month, so I'm getting a sweet deal.

My new roomies seem cool and friendly; one has even invited me back to her family home for Thanksgiving, which is the coming weekend in Canada. While I was going to stay in the city with the Swappers, watch the Ireland-Cyprus match, and such delights, I think I'll accept this generous offer. It's a wonderful opportunity so early in my Canadian experience. The icing on today's cake is the possibility of a job opening at a non-profit urban research institute in downtown Toronto. It's only a possibility at the moment, but if it came off, I'd be a junior research/projects assistant with a more than reasonable salary. Things are really looking up here.

I haven't even told you about Saturday night yet... sure, I'll get round to it in my next post. It was the kind of night that could never happen in Dublin. Think of an all-night public art festival, fog sculptures, meeting random Canadians in the rain, and being captured for TV playing giant outdoor Twister at 5am. Got that? That's pretty much it. :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Hey! I haven't visit in months and during that time you moved to Canada?!?!?! Wow! I sure missed a lot! Now I have to go read some of the posts I've missed to find out how it came about.

    Montreal is better than Toronto, but hey! Glad to have you as a new resident of Canada!
    :-)

    By Blogger Sonia, at Mon Oct 09, 06:29:00 p.m.  

  • That's great, Martin! So happy to hear you've found a place to stay. Good luck on getting that job :)

    By Blogger dpineapple, at Fri Oct 13, 08:22:00 p.m.  

  • People are always asking why I came to Canada - almost as if I'm crazy. The funny thing is, I'm not entirely sure how I ended up here. Although the final decision involved a lot of rational thought and soul-searching, it was essentially impulsive. One day in late March, whilst skimming the papers, I noticed two square inches of text mentioning that Canada was offering extra visas. There and then, my mind was pretty much made up - despite not having considered it before. Every justification I've given since is secondary. It was an instinctive, gut decision, and I don't regret it in the slightest! :)

    And yes, D, things are going great! I didn't get that particular job, alas, but I'm working hard and steadily bettering myself. Thus far, no regrets. Every reservation I had before coming has melted away.

    By Blogger Martin, at Fri Oct 27, 02:27:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home