Bitching Brew

Sunday, July 23, 2006

A simple-minded question.

What a joyous world we live in. Yes, I can see the arguments, the explanations, the justifications and the grotesque, ever-present spin on both sides of our war of the month. One is tempted to call a plague on all their houses. Ultimately however, no one with the slightest regard for liberal values should want Hizbollah & Friends to overrun Israel. Note: I am not justifying anything here. The issues have been done to death (quite literally), and I've no desire to scribble down what would be little more than a mish-mash of media punditry. 'Tis a pity the world couldn't find the same urgency to tackle the far bloodier conflict in Darfur.

Can I contribute anything of value? Perhaps. I'm not pretending that international relations ever took heed of ethics, but a small, naive question came to my mind over the past week. I can best put it as follows:

- When is it morally acceptable to lob a grenade at a human shield?

Think about it.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I think what your doing in your entry is exactly media punditry... equating the actions of Hezbollah with Israel is a victory for Israel. It allows Israel to continue bombing civilians and civilian infrastructure which, as everyone is aware of by now, is a blatant war crime. But you're right about Darfur and other conflicts that are completely ignored. Three hundred children are dying daily according to the UN aid agencies in Congo too. At least you have European news stations to watch, i have to listen to American commentary!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Jul 25, 08:52:00 p.m.  

  • That's true, at least... Euronews attempts to be impartial.

    I think your comment warrants a post in reply, rather than a comment, so I'm writing it up now. Suffice it to say that I think you're misreading me somewhat. The question I posed is the absolute key.

    By Blogger Martin, at Tue Jul 25, 11:14:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home