Bitching Brew

Monday, June 05, 2006

Second-hand books.

Bottom line: they have a tendency toward malodorous auras.

Four to six weeks ago, I came home with a bag full of books from a second-hand book sale at college. I haven't had time to root through them until today, though I picked one off the top last evening and began reading it. After exploring the bag, I concede that, despite the urge to wash my hands, my €16.50 outlay was a steal.

  • H.J. Blackham: Six Existentialist Thinkers (I've just started reading this. Its previous owner was a philosophy professor, so the margins are littered with helpful musings!)
  • Samuel Butler: Erewhon and Erewhon Revisited (this is a 1932 Everyman edition, and it irritates the nostrils)
  • Robert Browning: Poems and Plays, Volume 5 (also smells)
  • Norman Porter: Rethinking Unionism (in excellent condition, probably because it’s the newest book in the pile)
  • Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward: All The President’s Men (a very yellowed paperback)
  • William Stevenson: The Bormann Brotherhood (I don’t know whether this is fiction or speculative reporting – I suppose I’ll find out if and when I ever open it.)
  • E.W.F. Tomlin: The Great Philosophers: The Eastern World (another stinker, though I'm sure the contents will enlighten)
  • Graham Greene: The Heart of the Matter (browned beyond belief, but a surprisingly modest whiff)
  • George Eliot: Silas Marner
  • Henry James: The Portrait of a Lady
  • James Joyce: Dubliners (aging paperback)
  • Gotthold Lessing: Sara and Minna Von Barnhelm (20 years old, but printed on good paper – makes all the difference.)
  • Katharine Jones: Heroines of Dixie: Spring of High Hopes (I have no idea why I picked this thing up. Probably for the novelty factor and the 20 cent tag.)
  • Henrik Ibsen: Ghosts and Two Other Plays (a 1923 Everyman; given its age, the musty odour is surprisingly mild!)

Leafing through old books, whether in a library, a shop or a sale, makes me appreciate how critical the quality of an edition is. The paper quality is the top priority - that old acidic paper is dreadful. The bindings matter too. If I had the money, I'd go for hardbacks wherever possible. Some paperbacks are made to high standards (the Modern Library Classics, for instance), but seldom the mass-market editions. And ever since wasting a note on a copy of the Nicomachean Ethics that read like typescript, the final factor to consider has been the font used, and also its size. Some fonts are horrible on the eye.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home