Bitching Brew

Friday, June 23, 2006

Dinner time.

I had dinner with some friends last night. The couple cooking were vegetarian, and hence the meal was. Without a doubt, it was the tastiest vegetarian meal I have ever had (and I've had quite a few)! It was a really good night all round.

No matter what the dietary requirement, it's perfectly possible to cook up a great three-course meal. There really aren't any excuses. I guess the crucial point is not to try and use "substitutes", for instance special breads or too many soya products. Those make sense on an everyday basis, but not for preparing a good meal. Accept the restrictions and don't cheat; just focus the meal around other food groups.

Why am I writing this? Someone complained to me recently about having to cook dinner for a coeliac, as if it were a grinding yet Herculean effort. It struck me as a really stupid thing to say, and did nothing but highlight their lack of imagination. The same principle applies to vegetarians, vegans, and nut, dairy and other allergies.

Anyway, that's the last time I'll write about the art of cookery. Well, until my skills have reached a higher plane. :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home