Bitching Brew

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Nobel Peace Prize

On the off chance that somebody cares, the Nobel Peace Prize 2005 will be announced at 0900 GMT tomorrow (Friday). Whatever, eh? Regardless of its (de)merits, I have an opinion on who should get it. As I have opinions on many things... C'mon, Bono and Bob Geldof - are you kidding me?!

From amongst the front-runners, I vote for Martti Ahtisaari. An ex-president of Finland, he's been deeply involved in conflict resolution both during and after his term in office. Most recently he helped negotiate a peace settlement in the Indonesian province of Aceh, which you may recall was devastated by the tsunami last December. This Wikipedia biography of him is pretty sketchy, but take a look anyway. Note that I've given my vote, not my prediction. It's most likely that someone you've never heard of will win.


Update: I was wrong. Meh. Well, that was unexpected. The bookies' favourite actually won. Good for you, Mr. El-Baradei. Now let's get to work on slashing the existing nuclear arsenals. (Sadly, the military-industrial complexes pay little heed to the Nobel Peace Prize and its laureates.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home