Bitching Brew

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Eeew. The circumcision industry. Eeew.

From a mildly disturbing article in the Guardian, entitled "Precision circumcisions: Severed foreskins have all sorts of adventures", comes one of the more disturbing quotes I've read recently:

Bryan B Fuller is the world's top expert on skin colour in human foreskins.

This man is a professor, by the way. Owing to this kind of research, presumably. The University of Oklahoma's standards must be slipping.

Perhaps this explains why genital mutilation is so common in the US. A secret scientific-industrial complex may be at work, putting out subliminal propaganda to the population. Embedded within TV shows such as American Idol and the O'Reilly Factor. Perhaps this research will even be of military value. It's a black operation!

Seriously, this isn't pleasant stuff. Would there be such praise offered to the world's top expert on skin colour in mutilated clitorises? I think not: it's an abhorrent procedure. I'm a strong opponent of the mutilation of infants, or minors for that matter. If adults want to sever their own erogenous zones, pierce their tongues, dye their hair or shave their legs, then fair enough. Those are informed choices, to which I have no objection whatsoever.

But stop inflicting it on children when it's not strictly medically necessary (and that's quite rare). A ban on child mutilation is one of the very few new laws I would advocate. The tolerance of such practices on cultural or religious grounds takes a distant second place to the right of children to their own bodily integrity.

That article makes me feel queasy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I waited until I was 30 to get circumcised, and wish I had it done as an infant. It would have been so much easier.

    Aloha,

    Jeff

    By Anonymous Jeff, at Tue Oct 25, 12:40:00 p.m.  

  • Ouch. I can't imagine. A friend of mine did the same at 23 - he had the same reaction... I don't doubt it'd be much easier as a child - but I still don't think it outweighs the damage of circumcising a kid who grows up wishing it hadn't been done.

    By Blogger Martin, at Thu Oct 27, 07:14:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home