Bitching Brew

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Cyprus v Ireland: pre-match view

What I want to see this evening: a 3-0 victory to Ireland.
What I expect to see this evening: a 2-1 victory to Ireland.

The team I'd like to see this evening:

Given;
Carr, Cunningham, Dunne, O'Shea;
Finnan, Kavanagh, S. Reid, Duff;
Keane, Connolly.

The team Brian Kerr will select this evening:

Given;
Carr, Cunningham, Dunne, Harte;
Finnan, Kavanagh, Kilbane, Duff;
Keane, Elliott.

I think both teams above are well-capable of beating Cyprus this evening. However, I certainly don't think the second team is good enough to take three points from Switzerland. In my view, Brian Kerr should pick the team best-equipped to play Switzerland, not Cyprus. Why? Firstly, any side he picks should win against Cyprus. Secondly, we desperately need the team to gel against Switzerland. The best way to do that is to play the same team in both games. Forget Andy Reid and Morrison, unless certain players have a nightmare against Cyprus. The eleven men playing this evening should be confident that a good performance will earn them a place against the Swiss. Harte, Kilbane and Elliott are not good enough for Wednesday night. Steven Reid's creativity could be vital against the Swiss, as opposed to the stodge offered up by Holland and Kilbane. Give him 90 minutes tonight.

Right, I'm off for a shower, then off to the pub.


Update: my forecasts were quite accurate. I predicted a one-goal victory (though it was 1-0 rather than 2-1) and I correctly predicted 10 of the 11 players selected. Unfortunately, the performance was dire, disjointed and putrid, below even my lowest expectations. Grrr.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home